ABH Prism Palette Swatches & Review!

0 Comments
Yup. I bought it. The ever so talked about holiday release, the Anastasia Beverly Hills Prism Eye Shadow Palette. I couldn't NOT buy... especially after Ulta sent me a 20% off coupon XD


The Rundown:
$42
Limited Edition
14 shades (7 shimmers + 7 mattes)
NO Parabens, Sulfates, or Phthalates

Swatches


Review
I haven't tried the Subculture palette, so I personally cannot compare it to that. But I do own the Modern Renaissance palette and I love it. So that's what I am going to use to draw comparison. When I was comparing the shimmers of both palettes, I noticed that the shimmer shades in the Modern Renaissance palette are much softer than the shades in the ABH Prism palette. In the MR palette, the shimmers feel almost buttery. Even pressing them will form a dent in the eye shadow. In the Prism palette, it's much harder to do this. The only shimmer shade in the Prism palette that I feel mirrors the softness of the MR palette, is the shade Throne. So why am I telling you this? Don't worry, the shadows not being as soft isn't much of a problem. It just means that the shimmers in the Prism palette (aside from maybe Throne) need to be used with your fingers in order to get it to show up the way you want it to on your lid. And not only that, but you need to press much harder with your finger than you would have pressing into the shimmers of the MR palette. In the MR palette, I don't have to press hard at all and I don't necessarily have to use my finger. I can use a brush too.

As far as the mattes, some are similar to the MR palette and some are more hardly pressed. I used the shades Eden, Lure and Saturn together in my crease and they all blended together just fine. While blending them together with my brush, they didn't become one muddy color, which is one of the issues I heard the matte shades of the Subculture palette had. Sphere is probably the most standout matte shade in this palette, however after hours of wearing it, it's bright neon impact does fade. There's a matte shade in my Modern Renaissance palette that I have not touched, and that shade is Warm Taupe. It doesn't appeal to me in the slightest and I don't care to use it in any capacity. In the Prism palette, the shade Unity is equivalent to Warm Taupe for me. Unity doesn't appeal to me at all and I can't see myself using it in any eye look I do. And finally, let's talk about the shade Obsidian. I'm just going to say that, if I needed a black shadow to use, this is not the shadow I would reach for. I went in with a brush and tried putting it in my outer corner. As I was sitting there blending, I found myself saying "Is this color even showing up?" Basically I had to press harder into the black than any other matte shade in this palette in order to achieve the look I wanted. Instead of using this black, I'd probably just reach for the black in my Morphe x Jaclyn Hill Palette, which blends much nicer. Is there fallout? Yes.... But the shadows BLEND. The same was the case with the Modern Renaissance palette.



So do I think the palette is worth buying? 
I do... but mostly for the shimmers. I don't own any shimmers like these in my own collection, which is why I feel justified in buying it. Other than the shade Sphere, the rest of the mattes are pretty easy to find dupes for. A dark brown? A black? A peachy shade? Pssh. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.



Stay tuned for upcoming looks using this palette!



You may also like

No comments: